Jeffrey Olin – President and CEO, Co-Portfolio Manager
Jeffrey Olin is President and CEO of Vision Capital Corporation, an investment counselling and portfolio management company which manages the Vision Opportunity Funds. Mr. Olin brings fifteen years of senior level investment banking experience, as well as ten years of direct corporate real estate experience to Vision Capital Corporation.
Between 2003 and 2007, Mr. Olin served as the Managing Partner, Ontario and Head of Investment Banking with Desjardins Securities, a $200 billion financial institution. Mr. Olin was previously a Managing Director with HSBC Securities and a Vice President with Canaccord Capital. As an investment banker, Mr. Olin was the Lead Manager and M&A advisor with direct responsibility for over 70 transactions representing over $5 billion in value. He has served as a key advisor to many of Canada’s leading corporate, institutional, and family-owned real estate enterprises.
Prior to his investment banking career, Mr. Olin has ten years of direct real estate industry experience. Between 1985 and 1991, Mr. Olin was Vice President with Bramalea Limited in Dallas, Texas and Toronto, Canada. In addition he worked with Olympia & York Developments Ltd., and the Parking Authority of Toronto. His experience in real estate includes acquisitions and dispositions, development, financing, leasing, operations, and planning and design.
Mr. Olin has extensive corporate governance experience and expertise. He has served on the Board of Directors for numerous public companies as well as charitable and community boards. He has also acted as an expert witness on behalf of the Ontario Securities Commission and the Government of Canada Parliamentary Finance Committee. Mr. Olin is a graduate from the Kellogg Graduate School at Northwestern University in Chicago with an MBA. He received his Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Toronto.
Frank Mayer – Chairman, Co-Portfolio Manager
Frank Mayer is Chairman of Vision Capital Corporation, an investment counseling and portfolio management company which manages the Vision Opportunity Funds.
Previously, Mr. Mayer was a top-ranked Canadian real estate research analyst for thirty-five years, and recognized as such by leading independent surveys including Brendan Wood, Starmine and Greenwich. He has experience with both global and Canadian investment dealers including UBS (Bunting Warburg) and HSBC Securities. Most recently, Mr. Mayer was Vice Chairman and a Senior Real Estate Analyst at Desjardins Securities Inc. His senior executive management experience has included roles as Head of Research, member of the Office of the President, Chairman and Vice Chairman. His track record includes identifying investment opportunities and themes at an early stage, often prior to other analysts and investors.
Mr. Mayer graduated from Concordia University with a Bachelor of Commerce, and from the University of Toronto with a MA in Economics.
Jeff Roberts – Senior Vice President, Assistant Portfolio Manager
Jeff Roberts joined the Vision team following his successful career as a highly regarded investment analyst focused on the public Canadian real estate sector. Most recently, Jeff served as Vice President and Real Estate Analyst at Desjardins Securities for 7 years. During his tenure, Jeff was highly respected by both clients and colleagues and was recognized as a top 3 ranked analyst by Starmine, a leading global consultant.
Prior to his career as an investment research analyst, Jeff served as the Senior Financial Manager at Menkes Developments Ltd., a large Toronto-based commercial and residential real estate developer.
Jeff is a graduate of the MBA program at York University’s Schulich School of Business where he won the Bronze Medal for academic achievement and placed second in Finance. He also holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of Toronto, and is a member of both the Law Society of Upper Canada and the New York State Bar. Jeff received his Chartered Financial Analyst designation in 2006.
Vinh Truong, CA – Chief Operating Officer & Chief Compliance Officer
Vinh Truong has broad experience including a focus on real estate private equity investments, structuring and underwriting corporate credit, mergers and acquisitions, underwriting and placing equity and debt capital, and financial and tax structuring and reporting. Most recently, Vinh was Vice President and CFO of Hexagon Capital Partners, a real estate advisory firm focused on executing a strategic plan for Intrawest ULC’s non-core assets. Previously, Vice President at Fortress Investment Group LLC, a New York-based private equity and hedge fund company. Vinh has prior experience with GE Commercial Finance and KPMG, initially as a Senior Accountant and subsequently in Corporate Finance. Vinh attended McMaster University where he obtained an Honours Bachelor of Commerce degree. He obtained his Chartered Accountant designation in 2000.
- Vice President and CFO – Hexagon Capital Partners
- Vice President – Fortress Investment Group LLC
- Associate – GE Commercial Finance
- Manager – KPMG Corporate Finance
- Obtained Chartered Accountant Designation in 2000
- Graduate of McMaster University, Honours Bachelor of Commerce
Steve Joakim – Director of Administration, Portfolio Assistant
Steve Joakim brings to Vision a breadth of experience in account administration, investor relations, technology support and office management. Steve possesses valuable background and experience in the investment industry primarily from his prior roles with Mackenzie Financial, and FrontTier Consulting. During his tenure at Mackenzie, he quickly became a top-performer in his division and as a result was chosen to be cross trained in three divisions.
In addition, Steve’s background in investor relations leaves him with a solid understanding of both the strategic and administrative issues impacting public companies.
- Account Administration, Mackenzie Investments Corp.
- Manager of Administration, Frontier Consulting
- Graduate from the University of Toronto, Honours Bachelor of Commerce, Triple Major (Finance, Commerce, and Economics)
- Completed the Canadian Securities Course (CSC) and the Conduct & Practices Handbook (CPH) from the Canadian Securities Institute
- Candidate for the Canadian Investment Manager (CIM) Designation from the Canadian Securities Institute
Shael Soberano – Analyst
Shael Soberano has worked as an Analyst at Vision Capital Corporation since May 2009. He has completed the Bachelor of Management and Organizational Studies Honours Degree with a Specialization in Finance and Administration at the University of Western Ontario. Shael brings the most current analytical tools and a rigorous discipline to assist and evolve the market and financial analyses he contributes to portfolio management decisions.
- CFA Level III candidate 2015
- Completed the Canadian Securities Course
- Semi-Finalist in the Richard Ivey School’s Business Feasibly Project
- Attended SNL Real Estate REIT School in Chicago, Illinois
Cameron Salmers – Analyst
Cameron Salmers, the most recent addition to the Vision Capital Corporation team, is currently a Dean’s List scholar (Top 10%) and finance specialist at the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
Since 2011, Cameron has worked as a Research Associate at the Rotman School of Management and Schulich School of Business. The research conducted in partnership with tenured Professors has focused on the financing of social ventures, the growth strategies of entrepreneurial organizations, and the use of social media by entrepreneurial organizations, and has appeared in academic journals such as the Journal of Business Venturing.
Cameron has also served in the financial services industry for four years as a Member Service Representative assisting retail banking clients with the Oshawa Community Credit Union.
Pascal Diab – Executive Administrator
Pascal Diab brings over 20 years of professional experience to Vision. Most recently,
Pascal was the Owner and Director of Avant Garde Lifestyle Management, a professional
administrative services firm based in Toronto. Pascal is fluent in both English and French.
- Owner and Director – Avant Garde Lifestyle Management
- Executive Assistant – Azimuth Three Enterprises Inc.
- Executive Assistant – Reynolds & Reynolds
- Bilingual Accounts Receivable Clerk – Fuji Film, and Joanne Fabrics
- Recent Chair (2004-2012) of the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (“CMHC”), a Canadian government crown corporation which is the premier provider of mortgage loan insurance, mortgage-backed securities, housing policy and programs, and housing research
- Current Chairman and Acting President and CEO of Leisureworld Senior Care Corp
- Former CEO of Toronto Lands Corporation, a subsidiary of the Toronto Public School Board, responsible for handling surplus properties
- Previously President and CEO of Residential Equities Real Estate Investment Trust. Subsequent to its acquisition by Canadian Apartment Real Estate Investment Trust, Mr. Chiesa has continued his involvement as a member of its Board of Trustees
- Served as Assistant Deputy Minister at the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, and CEO of Ontario Housing Corporation
- Member of Advisory Board of the Schulich School of Business at York University in Toronto
- Most recently, Executive Vice-President, Reichmann International
- Senior executive and trusted advisor for Mr. Paul Reichmann and his affiliated companies and REITs for over 30 years
- Actively involved as a senior financial executive in Mr. Reichmann’s Olympia & York Developments Ltd., acquisition and divestures of Canary Wharf, Central Park Lodges, Retirement Residences REIT and IPC REIT
- Previously, President and CEO of IPC REIT, a Canadian REIT which was focused exclusively on U.S. commercial, mainly office, properties. IPC REIT was sold in December 2007
- Trustee of Boardwalk REIT and Director of BrightPath Early Learning Inc.
- Mr. Goodman is a (gold medalist) Chartered Accountant and resident of Toronto
- Mr. Soberano is an accomplished entrepreneur, investor and corporate executive with extensive experience in the areas of retail, manufacturing, real estate ownership and development and corporate sales, marketing and promotions.
- Past C.E.O of Y.M. Inc., a large privately owned company that is one of North America’s leading apparel retailers, operating over 650 stores including banners such as Stitches, Bluenotes, Suzy Shier, Urban Planet, Sirens, and Siblings.
- Previously CEO of The Whitby Waterfront Development Corporation where he spearheaded the development of the highly successful Yacht Club Condominiums at Whitby Harbour in conjunction with his joint venture partner Canderel Limited.
- Mr. Soberano is also an active philanthropist, primarily through his role as President of Yaldeinu, a charity devoted to helping foreign underprivileged and victimized children, and as a founder and President of The Soberano Charitable Foundation.
- Director of Wishabi Inc.
- Mr. Berkowitz is a principal at privately held Croft Properties in New York. Croft and affiliated family entities own over 200 multi-family and commercial properties in the United States.
- Prior to Croft Properties, Mr. Berkowitz was part of a team managing over $1 billion of assets at High Rise Capital Management, a dedicated public real estate hedge fund in New York.
- Previously, Mr. Berkowitz was at Argent Ventures, an opportunistic real estate partnership based in New York, and a real estate investment banker at Lazard Freres, where he advised public real estate companies on corporate mergers and asset sales.
- Adam graduated with a BA in Economics from the University of Pennsylvania, an M.Phil from Cambridge University in England, an MA in real estate from the NYU Real Estate Institute and a JD from NYU School of Law.
Director of BrightPath Early Learning Inc.