Jeffrey Olin – President and CEO, Portfolio Manager
Jeffrey Olin is President and CEO of Vision Capital Corporation, an investment counseling and portfolio management company which manages the Vision Opportunity Funds. Mr. Olin brings fifteen years of senior level investment banking experience, as well as ten years of direct corporate real estate experience to Vision Capital Corporation. Between 2003 and 2007, Mr. Olin served as the Managing Partner, Ontario and Head of Investment Banking with Desjardins Securities, a $200 billion financial institution. Mr. Olin was previously a Managing Director with HSBC Securities and a Vice President with Canaccord Capital. As an investment banker, Mr. Olin was the Lead Manager and M&A advisor with direct responsibility for over 70 transactions representing over $5 billion in value. He has served as a key advisor to many of Canada’s leading corporate, institutional, and family-owned real estate enterprises. Prior to his investment banking career, Mr. Olin has ten years of direct real estate industry experience. Between 1985 and 1991, Mr. Olin was Vice President with Bramalea Limited in Dallas, Texas and Toronto, Canada. In addition he worked with Olympia & York Developments Ltd., and the Parking Authority of Toronto. His experience in real estate includes acquisitions and dispositions, development, financing, leasing, operations, and planning and design. Mr. Olin has extensive corporate governance experience and expertise. He has served on the Board of Directors for numerous public companies as well as charitable and community boards. He has also acted as an expert witness on behalf of the Ontario Securities Commission and the Government of Canada Parliamentary Finance Committee. Mr. Olin is a graduate from the Kellogg Graduate School at Northwestern University in Chicago with an MBA. He received his Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Toronto.
Frank Mayer – Chairman, Portfolio Manager
Frank Mayer is Chairman of Vision Capital Corporation, an investment counseling and portfolio management company which manages the Vision Opportunity Funds. Previously, Mr. Mayer was a top-ranked Canadian real estate research analyst for thirty-five years, and recognized as such by leading independent surveys including Brendan Wood, Starmine and Greenwich. He has experience with both global and Canadian investment dealers including UBS (Bunting Warburg) and HSBC Securities. Most recently, Mr. Mayer was Vice Chairman and a Senior Real Estate Analyst at Desjardins Securities Inc. His senior executive management experience has included roles as Head of Research, member of the Office of the President, Chairman and Vice Chairman. His track record includes identifying investment opportunities and themes at an early stage, often prior to other analysts and investors. Mr. Mayer graduated from Concordia University with a Bachelor of Commerce, and from the University of Toronto with a MA in Economics.
Andrew Moffs - Senior Vice President, Portfolio Manager
Andrew Moffs is Senior Vice President of Vision Capital Corporation, an investment counseling and portfolio management company which manages the Vision Opportunity Funds. Andrew brings to Vision a unique depth of experience in the global real estate securities sector, having followed public real estate securities in both the United States and Canada for 15 years. Andrew joins the team from SRE Securities Canada Inc., the Canadian subsidiary of Starwood Real Estate Securities, where he served as President and Portfolio Manager. During his tenure, Andrew established the Canadian office for Starwood in Toronto and served as the Portfolio Manager for its long/short real estate hedge fund strategies. In addition, Andrew served as a Senior Analyst to the U.S.-based team, covering global real estate securities. Andrew joined Starwood at its founding in 2004 in Greenwich, Connecticut, as a Senior Analyst. He left in 2006 to return to Toronto and served as an Analyst and Portfolio Manager for Waterfall Investments, a long/short hedge fund manager, which was subsequently sold to a leading Canadian fund company. He rejoined Starwood in 2008. Earlier in his career, Andrew was a Portfolio Analyst in the real estate group of APG Investments US (formerly ABP Investments US) in New York, the asset manager for the Dutch civil service pension fund which manages more than $350 billion of capital including more than $15 billion in real estate securities. Andrew began his career as an Analyst in the Global Real Estate & Lodging Group of Salomon Smith Barney in New York. Andrew received his B.A. in Economics from McGill University where he graduated with Great Distinction, and holds the Canadian Investment Manager (CIM) designation.
Vinh Truong, CPA, CA, CFA – Chief Operating Officer & Chief Compliance Officer
Vinh Truong has broad experience including a focus on real estate private equity investments, structuring and underwriting corporate credit, mergers and acquisitions, underwriting and placing equity and debt capital, and financial and tax structuring and reporting. Most recently, Vinh was Vice President and CFO of Hexagon Capital Partners, a real estate advisory firm focused on executing a strategic plan for Intrawest ULC’s non-core assets. Previously, he served as Vice President at Fortress Investment Group LLC, a New York-based private equity and hedge fund company. Vinh has prior experience with GE Commercial Finance and KPMG, initially as a Senior Accountant and subsequently in Corporate Finance. Vinh attended McMaster University where he obtained an Honours Bachelor of Commerce degree.
Darren Kosack - Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing
Darren Kosack joins most recently from Macquarie Global Investments where he was Senior Vice President of Distribution, based in Toronto. Darren brings over 15 years of senior level experience in Retail and Institutional Sales and Service to Vision. Darren was a Senior Vice President of Sales at some of Canada’s leading investment management firms, including Macquarie, SEAMARK Asset Management, Excel Funds, Skylon Advisors (CI Investments) and First Asset Funds. Previously, Darren was a capital markets professional having worked at BMO Nesbitt Burns as a Fixed Income Trader from 1988-1990 and then as a Currency Trader from 1990 to 2000 where he was Manager and Director for Canadian Dollar trading. During this time Darren was based in Singapore, 1992, and London U.K 1995-1998. Darren graduated from Baylor University in Waco, Texas in 1987 with a B.B.A in Economics and has completed the Canadian Securities Course.
Shael Soberano, CFA – Vice President, Senior Analyst
Shael Soberano has worked as an Analyst at Vision Capital Corporation since May 2009. Shael is a CFA Charterholder and completed the Bachelor of Management and Organizational Studies Honours Degree with a Specialization in Finance and Administration at the University of Western Ontario. Here, he was a Semi-Finalist in the Richard Ivey School of Business’ Feasibility Project. Shael brings the most current analytical tools and a rigorous discipline to assist and evolve the market and financial analyses he contributes to portfolio management decisions. Shael has also completed the Canadian Securities Course. Previously, Shael attended the SNL Real Estate REIT School in Chicago, Ilinois.
Gary Hagen, CFA - Director of Operations
Gary Hagen, recently joined the Vision Capital Corporation team from Macquarie Capital Markets Canada where he was an Executive in the Trade Operations group based in Toronto. At Vision Capital he is responsible for maintaining the firm’s daily operating including fund reporting, information technology, trading, and settlements. Gary brings over 10 years of global experience in financial and asset management operations with Macquarie in NYC, Houston and Toronto and Wilson HTM in Australia. He has a broad range of experience in the back and middle office in trading, project management, accounting, risk management and reporting. Gary holds a Bachelors in Management & Marketing, Graduate Diploma in Applied Financial Analysis.
Cameron Salmers – Analyst
Cameron Salmers graduated with high distinction (Top 10%) from the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto where he specialized in finance and is a member of the Dean’s List. Cameron is currently completing his CFA charter, is a June 2016 Level II candidate, and has been awarded a CFA Institute Scholarship. At Vision Capital, Cameron focuses his time on the research aspect of the business covering fundamental research, technical analysis, and the management of internal models. Prior to Vision, Cameron worked as a Research Associate at the Rotman School of Management and Schulich School of Business. The research conducted in partnership with tenured Professors focused on the financing of social ventures, the growth strategies of entrepreneurial organizations, and the use of social media by entrepreneurial organizations. The research appeared in academic journals such as the Journal of Business Venturing. Cameron also served in the financial services industry for four years as a Member Service Representative assisting retail banking clients with the Oshawa Community Credit Union.
Bailey Forfar – Executive Administrator
Bailey Forfar joins Vision from the Bank of Montreal where she held several administrative roles with increasing responsibility over the past six years. Most recently, she supported senior executives from the Capital Markets, Investment & Corporate Banking Division. Bailey brings a strict discipline for organization and systems management to Vision.
Bailey attended Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario as well as Capilano University, North Vancouver, British Columbia. She also completed several professional courses in administration and client services.
- Chairman of Sienna Senior Living’s board of directors.
- Member of the Board of Trustees, Audit Committee and Investment Committee of Morguard North American Residential REIT.
- Recent Chair of the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (“CMHC”), a Canadian government crown corporation which is the premier provider of mortgage loan insurance, mortgage-backed securities, housing policy and programs, and housing research (www.cmhc-schl.qc.ca).
- Former CEO of Toronto Lands Corporation, a subsidiary of the Toronto Public School Board, responsible for handling surplus properties.
- Previously President and CEO of Residential Equities Real Estate Investment Trust. Subsequent to its acquisition by Canadian Apartment Real Estate Investment Trust, Mr. Chiesa has continued his involvement as a member of its Board of Trustees.
- Previously Assistant Deputy Minister at the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, and CEO of Ontario Housing Corporation.
- Advisory Board of the Schulich School of Business at York University in Toronto.
- Most recently, Executive Vice-President, Reichmann International
- Senior executive and trusted advisor for Mr. Paul Reichmann and his affiliated companies and REITs for over 30 years
- Actively involved as a senior financial executive in Mr. Reichmann’s Olympia & York Developments Ltd., acquisition and divestures of Canary Wharf, Central Park Lodges, Retirement Residences REIT and IPC REIT
- Previously, President and CEO of IPC REIT, a Canadian REIT which was focused exclusively on U.S. commercial, mainly office, properties. IPC REIT was sold in December 2007
- Trustee of Boardwalk REIT and Director of BrightPath Early Learning Inc.
- Mr. Goodman is a (gold medalist) Chartered Accountant and resident of Toronto
- Currently, Mr. Nesbitt is an Adjunct Professor at the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto
- Most recently, Richard served a dual role as Chairman and CEO of CIBC World Markets Inc. as well as Chief Operating Officer of CIBC Bank
- Prior to that Richard was the CEO of the TMX Group, the operator of all major Canadian trading exchanges including the Toronto Stock Exchange, Montreal Exchange and the Canadian Derivatives Clearing Corporation
- Between 1997 and 2000 he served as President and CEO of HSBC Securities, where he first came to know and work with Vision’s principals and co-portfolio managers Jeffrey Olin and Frank Mayer
- The outstanding contribution that Richard has devoted to several community based and charitable organizations has been recognized by the receipt of prestigious awards and recognitions. This involvement includes his current roles as Chair of the Finance Committee for the 2015 Pan Am/Para Pan Am Games; Board member of the Hospital for Sick Children Foundation; North American Advisory Board Member of the London School of Economics; Chair of the Financial Services Advisory Board at the Rotman School of Management; and Advisory Board Member of the Women in Capital Markets. In recognition of his community and professional dedication and accomplishments, in 2012 Richard was a recipient of a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal as well as an Arbor Award from the University of Toronto
- Mr. Gluskin co-founded Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc. (“Gluskin Sheff”) in 1984, which is now one of Canada’s pre-eminent wealth management firms, servicing high net worth private clients, estates, trusts and institutional investors. Gluskin Sheff’s Common Shares are listed on the TSX under the symbol “GS.” Mr. Gluskin served as the firm’s President & Chief Investment Officer through December 31, 2009, and as a Director and the firm’s Vice-Chairman through December 18, 2013. He has been appointed as a lifetime honourary director of Gluskin Sheff, and he continues to manage a portfolio of assets for clients of the firm. Prior to co-founding Gluskin Sheff, Mr. Gluskin worked in the investment industry for 20 years. Mr. Gluskin received a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Toronto.
- Before co-founding Gluskin Sheff, Ira was a highly ranked real estate securities analyst at a leading Canadian investment dealer. As such, Ira brings a unique and extremely relevant combination of skills and experience to contribute in a truly value-added capacity to Vision.
- Mr. Gluskin is a well-known industry commentator.
- He is the former Chair of the University of Toronto Asset Management Corporation and is a member of the University of Toronto’s Boundless Campaign Executive Committee. He is a member of the Mount Sinai Hospital Foundation Investment Committee and Bridgepoint Foundation Investment Committee, the Sinai Health System’s Board of Directors, and the Sinai Health System’s Resource Committee.
- Mr. Gluskin is the former Chair of the Investment Advisory Committee for the Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto and is currently a member of its Investment Committee. Mr. Gluskin is also a member of the Toronto Symphony Foundation.
- Mr. Soberano is an accomplished entrepreneur, investor and corporate executive with extensive experience in the areas of retail, manufacturing, real estate ownership and development and corporate sales, marketing and promotions.
- Past C.E.O of Y.M. Inc., a large privately owned company that is one of North America’s leading apparel retailers, operating over 650 stores including banners such as Stitches, Bluenotes, Suzy Shier, Urban Planet, Sirens, and Siblings.
- Previously CEO of The Whitby Waterfront Development Corporation where he spearheaded the development of the highly successful Yacht Club Condominiums at Whitby Harbour in conjunction with his joint venture partner Canderel Limited.
- Mr. Soberano is also an active philanthropist, primarily through his role as President of Yaldeinu, a charity devoted to helping foreign underprivileged and victimized children, and as a founder and President of The Soberano Charitable Foundation.
- Director of Wishabi Inc.
- Mr. Berkowitz is a principal at privately held Croft Properties in New York. Croft and affiliated family entities own over 200 multi-family and commercial properties in the United States.
- Prior to Croft Properties, Mr. Berkowitz was part of a team managing over $1 billion of assets at High Rise Capital Management, a dedicated public real estate hedge fund in New York.
- Previously, Mr. Berkowitz was at Argent Ventures, an opportunistic real estate partnership based in New York, and a real estate investment banker at Lazard Freres, where he advised public real estate companies on corporate mergers and asset sales.
- Adam graduated with a BA in Economics from the University of Pennsylvania, an M.Phil from Cambridge University in England, an MA in real estate from the NYU Real Estate Institute and a JD from NYU School of Law.
Director of BrightPath Early Learning Inc.